Thursday 31 March 2011

Evaluation Question 2 - How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?


nFor this question I will be answering it by using an audio commentary. My audio commentry will also include me speaking about my supporting products. The main parts that I will be talking about are; introducing the song and talking about the origin of the original track, what kind of image did I want to create overall, how does the track link with the digipak and also a final summary of it all.
nHi my name is James
  And this is the final music video that I made for the band, U2, which is called Beautiful Day, which is taken from their album all that you can’t leave behind. U2 came from Dublin but were a massive success here in the UK. They aimed their songs at teenagers and young adults and their music style is varied between rock, alternative rock and post-punk.
  For my bands image, I didn’t follow the rock genre, it was more alternative rock with the different shot variations and the emotions shown from the singers and actors was not extreme. To do this I watched U2s original video of Beautiful day, as I wanted to see if they used close ups of the singer and the people playing the music instruments. After doing my research I realised that I wanted to make sure that the audience recognise that the singer was the main member of the band, I think I achieved this as there were plenty of shots throughout the video where the singer is singing he lyrics.
  Throughout the video I had a clear narrative, and this was seeing the singer waking up, and then following him throughout his day to it ending up where it began, I also related some of the acting to the lyrics in the song.
  Originally before I had even started the video I wanted to film a singer and a band in a studio, so this was fortunate that we had a studio at the school I go to and my three band members were very flexible about when and where they could do the filming.
nDrop Digipak inMy digipak is certainly based on my music video, and from this I was hoping to create an alternative rock genre from the six different panels from the digipak after researching other digipaks of this genre.
  For the front cover I took a picture of the whole band together so it looked like they were playing their instruments and singing. This image along with some of the others included in the digipak were not taken from the scenes that are in the video this is because after researching other digipaks most images are not taken from the music videos, so I feel that by taking different pictures from different places gives the digipak a variation but still links with the video in a sense that the band members are all playing their instruments and singing. For the back of the digipak I thought I would take a screenshot from my video, where the singer is running down the hill, this is where I have pt the songs that will feature on the album, again this links to my video as it was a screenshot taken from my video.
  Two of the six panels feature a compilation of images that I took from a different location to where the video is filmed. I took the images into Photoshop and put certain effects on them so they didn’t look plain. The CD panel was also created in Photoshop, for the design of the CD I took a screenshot of the effect Kalieda from after effects and put it on to a CD, after doing this I put the title of the album and the band name on the CD itself to make it look like a normal CD.
  The final image that I used for the digipak was another screenshot that was taken from the video itself, this is just an image of the singer looking around and links to what I said earlier, which was that I wanted to make the singer the main image of the band.
nDrop magazine advert in
  I created the magazine advert in Photoshop and I had an idea of what I wanted to do which was to put a collage of different images on the advert and again, make the singer the main image.
  I used half of the advert to put an image of the singer on it, with this image I put an effect on it called cut out. Also in the top half of the advert I included a picture of the front cover of the digipak so that the advert can relate to the digipak. I decided to include some quotes from different magazines to promote the band and the digipak.
  For the quotes I had them large and spread across the whole advert. I used different colours to write the quotes in so that it would stand out off the page. I also used a drop shadow and an outer glow on the quotes. In the bottom left hand corner I also included some tour dates and the venues that the band would be playing at, and as the background I used a screenshot from after effects that I used on my final video, so that the advert can relate all the way back to the video.
  Overall I feel that I have achieved what I set out to do, which was to make the singer the main image of the video and supporting products, and also to get the consistency between the video, digipak and the advert. I believe I have achieved this due to the fact that I have used images from the video and effects such as kalieda that I used in after effects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment