Sunday 27 March 2011

Evaluation Question 4 - How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

nThroughout the project I was required to use new media technologies during the construction of the film, during the research and in the planning and evaluation.
nConstruction
  For filming I was required to use a video camera so that I was able to capture the film, along with this I had to use the tripod that it stood on, this was a complete new experience for me as I have never done anything like this before. When I was filming I had to put the tape into the camera to allow me to start filming, once the tape was in I was able to fast forward or rewind through the tape so I could see what parts that I had done and decide whether I needed to redo any parts. For the tripod it was essential that everything on it was locked in place otherwise the camera could have fallen off, I had to ensure that all of the legs were locked into place, and also that the camera was secured on the tripod by tightening the crew underneath. There was a lever on the tripod so that I was able to move the camera feely whilst I was filming, this helped with the following shots.
  For the construction I was required to use Adobe Premiere Pro which is a film editing programme. I had to capture the film on to the programme, I then had to edit the film by putting the pieces of film in the order that I wanted. Throughout the video I wanted to put different effects on the film so on some I zoomed in or out to give a good effect, I also put some special effects on it, for example I used replicate on Premiere pro and on Adobe After Effects I used a range of effects such as Kaleida, Threshold and Posterize.




nResearch and Planning
   For research I was required to look at videos that had been made by similar artists and also by the band that I was using. Originally I had to suggest three potential songs that I thought that I could use for my video, after discussing the choices with my teacher it was conclusive that I would be using U2 Beautiful Day. I used Youtube to choose my three videos for a proposal as it consists of thousands of music videos, this helped me decide on what song I was going to use for my coursework. I am not new to Youtube, so it was fairly easy for me to watch videos that are similar to Beautiful Day and also songs by the band themselves.
  When I knew what song I wanted to use I was required to draw up a storyboard of how I wanted my music video to be. This needed me to draw up scenes on post it notes, this was called the animatronics.
  To help me design my digipak I had to analyse two or three different album covers, this helped me ultimately design my own digipak. For the analysis I had to talk about the different styles and effects that are used in order to make the album eye catching and appealing. I looked at two albums that were not related to U2 and I looked at one of U2s album so this helped me design mine. I also found a website called freecovers.net, this enabled me to gain access to thousands of album covers, that would guide me in designing my digipak.


nEvaluation
  Throughout the evaluation I have needed to use different technologies, for question 2 of the evaluation I used a voice over and to do this I used a camera and gave my answer into the microphone, I then had to take this into premiere pro and cut the parts where I had made mistakes, I then put the voice over, over the top of my video with the digipak and advert showing in the middle of the video.
  For question 3 I had to take down the marks of what the audience gave me after they had viewed my video, they had to give me a mark out of 4 for each question and I then put this on to Microsoft Excel in order for me to make 8 graphs that I was able to talk about and analyse. I have used Excel before so I was able to create these graphs without any difficulty I also used the camera again for question 3, this time I filmed myself asking the same questions to one of my class mates, this gave the evaluation some variation. I had to capture the film on premiere pro and export just like the other videos. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment